Mesa, a startup run by Tony Cisneros '21 MEM and Caroline Ebinger '22 MEM, seeks to provide nutritious backpacking meals while supporting core planetary health principles.
Business and the Environment
Business and the Environment
- A $100 million gift from FedEx will help fund the new Center, which will be focused on developing natural solutions for reducing atmospheric carbon. The Center will support and accelerate research across academic disciplines, helping to establish a more sustainable and healthier future for our planet.
- A team of Yale students last week won the MBA Impact Investing Network and Training (MIINT) competition, a pitch-off featuring students from business schools around the globe.
- A new Yale initiative, Plant-based And, encourages students from across campus to explore the intersections of food, sustainability, and social impact — with an emphasis on the role of student startups.
- The Connecticut Green Bank, a first-of-its-kind model for green financing first conceptualized at Yale, has been awarded the 2017 Innovation in American Government Award from Harvard’s Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation.
- The Yale Initiative on Sustainable Finance is partnering with investment bank BNY Mellon to expand research on sustainable investing, ESG metrics, and how sustainability performance affects financial results.
- Recognizing the critical role that private capital flows will play in moving society toward a more sustainable future, Yale has launched an academic effort to provide high-quality research on the flow of capital into sustainability-oriented projects and sustainable companies.
- A new guidebook based on research by YSE scholars offers a roadmap for installing rooftop solar panels in communities that are often overlooked when it comes to promoting renewable energy solutions.
- While he was a student at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (F&ES), Zach Parisa ’09 M.F.S. developed a technology that uses satellite data to determine the size and species of trees in forests.
- As more companies focus on reducing their carbon footprint, there’s one element that is key but often overlooked — reducing emissions from their supply chains.
- Latent potential within the private sector could provide a powerful new solution to disaster relief, according to a report out of the Yale Center for Business and the Environment.
- Cambium Carbon, an initiative founded by YSE students to combat climate change and revitalize urban communities by reimagining the urban tree lifecycle, has earned a $200,000 Natural Climate Solution Accelerator Grant from The Nature Conservancy.
- A new social venture launched by recent F&ES graduates aims to help everyday investors support projects that are tackling the climate challenge — from solar installations to electric vehicle-charging stations — while also strengthening their local communities.
- A student-led startup that is developing a saltwater aquaponic system that aims to drastically reduce the environmental impacts of both the seafood and beef industries last week received the 2018 Sabin Sustainable Venture Prize.