I am a member of the International Resource Panel , where I lead the Working Group on the Environmental Impacts of Products and Materials. I have contributed to the IPCC 5th assessment report as a lead author of the energy systems chapter and the methods annex, as well as a contributor to the Technical Summary and the Summary for Policy makers. Further, I have contributed to the Global Energy Assessment. I am a member of the editorial board of Environmental Science & Technology, the Journal of Industrial Ecology, and the Journal of Economic Structure.
I was born in Salzburg, Austria. I have an engineering degree from the HTL Braunau, an Bachelor in physics (Magna Cum Laude) from Princeton University, and an MSc and PhD in energy & resources from the University of California, Berkeley.
From 2003 to 2015, I have directed the Industrial Ecology Programme and worked as professor in Energy and Process Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway. Before that, I was a research scholar at the International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis in Laxenburg, Austria.
My research interests cover climate mitigation, life cycle assessment, sustainable consumption and production, trade and environment, and risk analysis. I am interested in understanding how activities in our society produce environmental pressures, the dynamics in our development that affect these driving forces and their resulting environmental pressures, and alternative courses of action that can reduce these pressures. What is the connection between human activities on the one hand and emissions and resource use on the other hand? What are the implications of our current development path? What do we need to change, both in terms of individual actions and policy frameworks, to achieve a more sustainable development?
- GLAMURS: Green Lifestyles, Alternative Models and Upscaling Regional Sustainability
- DESIRE: Development of a System of Indicators for a Resource-Efficient Europe
- ADVANCE: Model development and validation for climate policy analysis
- Carbon CAP: Consumption-based accounting and policy
- CENSES: Center for sustainable energy studies
- Clean Energy Choices: Resource Efficiency and Environmental Trade-Offs of Clean Energy Options
- Arvesen, Anders; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2015) More caution is needed when using life cycle assessment to determine energy return on investment (EROI). Energy Policy. vol. 76.
- Bouman, Evert; Ramirez, Andrea; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2015)Multiregional environmental comparison of fossil fuel power generation - Assessment of the contribution of fugitive emissions from conventional and unconventional fossil resources. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 33.
- Hertwich, Edgar G.; Gibon, Thomas; Bouman, Evert; Arvesen, Anders; Suh, Sangwon; Heath, Garvin; Bergesen, Joseph; Ramirez, Andrea; Vega, Mabel; Shi, Lei. (2015) Integrated life-cycle assessment of electricity-supply scenarios confirms global environmental benefit of low-carbon technologies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 112 (20).
- Majeau-Bettez, Guillaume; Wood, Richard; Hertwich, Edgar G.; Strømman, Anders Hammer. (2015) When Do Allocations and Constructs Respect Material, Energy, Financial, and Production Balances in LCA and EEIO?. Journal of Industrial Ecology.
- Pauliuk, Stefan; Wood, Richard; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2015) Dynamic Models of Fixed Capital Stocks and Their Application in Industrial Ecology. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 19 (1).
- Silva Simas, Moana; Wood, Richard; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2015) Labor Embodied in Trade: The Role of Labor and Energy Productivity and Implications for Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 19 (3).
- Singh, Bhawna; Bouman, Evert; Strømman, Anders Hammer; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2015) Material use for electricity generation with carbon dioxide capture and storage: Extending life cycle analysis indices for material accounting. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. vol. 100.
- Arvesen, Anders; Nes, Rasmus Nikolai; Huertas-Hernando, Daniel; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2014) Life cycle assessment of an offshore grid interconnecting wind farms and customers across the North Sea. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. vol. 19 (4).
- Gibon, Thomas; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2014) A global environmental assessment of electricity generation technologies with low greenhouse gas emissions. Procedia CIRP. vol. 15.
- Girod, Bastien; van, Vuuren,D.P.; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2014) Climate policy through changing consumption choices: Options and obstacles for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Global Environmental Change.vol. 25 (1).
- Jorge, Raquel Santos; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2014) Grid infrastructure for renewable power in Europe: The environmental cost. Energy. vol. 69.
- Silva Simas, Moana; Golsteijn, Laura; Huijbregts, Mark A. J,; Wood, Richard; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2014) The “Bad Labor” Footprint: Quantifying the Social Impacts of Globalization. Sustainability. vol. 6 (11).
- Singh, Bhawna; Reijers, Rick Hendricus Theodorus Johan; Spek, Mijndert; Schakel, Wouter; Skagestad, Ragnhild; Haugen, Hans Aksel; Ramirez, Andrea; Eldrup, Nils Henrik; Hertwich, Edgar G.; Strømman, Anders Hammer. (2014) Environmental Due Diligence of CO2 Capture and Utilization Technologies – Framework and application. Energy Procedia. vol. 63.
- Steen-Olsen, Kjartan; Owen, Anne; Hertwich, Edgar G.; Lenzen, Manfred.(2014) Effects of Sector Aggregation on CO2 Multipliers in Multiregional Input-Output Analyses. Economic Systems Research. vol. 26 (3).
- Weinzettel, Jan; Steen-Olsen, Kjartan; Hertwich, Edgar G.; Borucke, Michael; Galli, Alessandro. (2014) Ecological footprint of nations: Comparison of process analysis, and standard and hybrid multiregional input-output analysis. Ecological Economics. vol. 101.
- Wood, Richard; Hawkins, Troy Robert; Hertwich, Edgar G.; Tukker, Arnold. (2014) HARMONISING NATIONAL INPUT—OUTPUT TABLES FOR CONSUMPTION-BASED ACCOUNTING — EXPERIENCES FROM EXIOPOL. Economic Systems Research. vol. 26 (4).
- Arvesen, Anders; Birkeland, Christine; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2013) The Importance of Ships and Spare Parts in LCAs of Offshore Wind Power.Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (6).
- Dominguez-Ramos, Antonio; Singh, Bhawna; zhang, Xiangping; Hertwich, Edgar G.; Irabien, Angel. (2013) Global warming footprint of the electrochemical reduction of carbon dioxide to formate. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Girod, B; van Vuuren, DP; Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2013) Global climate targets and future consumption level: an evaluation of the required GHG intensity. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 8 (1).
- Hertwich, Edgar G.. (2013) Addressing Biogenic Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Hydropower in LCA. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (17).