Financial Aid FAQ

Frequently asked questions about financial aid and funding your degree at the Yale School of the Environment.

On This Page

    Applying for Financial Aid FAQ

    Do I have to apply for financial aid?
    Yes. Since your financial aid award is based primarily on your financial need, we need information about your finances that is not available in your application for admission.

    If I apply for financial aid, will I be less likely to be admitted?
    No. The Yale School of the Environment is need blind. Applying for financial aid and having financial need in no way affects our decision to offer you admission.

    Is there a deadline to apply for financial aid?
    Yes. Prospective students – February 1 (in the same year that you apply for admission)
    Current students – March 31

    When should I apply for financial aid if I am applying for a joint degree program?
    You should apply for financial aid in the same year that you apply for admission.

    When should I apply for financial aid if I am applying for the Five-Year Program for Yale College and Yale-NUS students?
    You should apply for financial aid by the deadline in the same year that you apply for admission, though you may also apply by the deadline in the year that you plan to enroll.

    What if I miss the deadline to apply for financial aid?
    We will not consider you for financial aid. Also, since what you receive in your second year is generally the same as what you receive in your first year, this can be a very costly oversight. The only exception is for Yale College and Yale-NUS applicants to the Five-Year Program – see above.

    How do I apply for financial aid?
    If you are a US citizen or permanent resident, you must submit three forms. If you are an international student, you must submit two forms. You must submit the correct forms for your status.

    Please see Applying for Financial Aid for links to the appropriate forms.

    Do I have to re-apply for financial aid for my second year?
    Yes, all students must complete the YSE Renewal Application and the FAFSA if applicable (U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen); however, the amount of your Yale School of the Environment scholarship in most cases will remain the same as in your first year.

    Are there tax implications for international student scholarships?
    Scholarships from Yale School of Environment may have tax implications for international students as determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the United States. Please refer to the International Students and U.S. Taxes page for more details.

    If I pay for the CSS profile, can I be reimbursed?
    Unfortunately, no. College Board does not have a method of reimbursement. If you have not received your Waiver code after October 1st, and it has been 72 hours since you submitted your YSE FA Application, please contact

    Do I need to complete the YSE Financial Aid process if I am pursuing the Three Cairns Scholarship? 
    Yes, Three Cairns is a need-based scholarship, and you must complete all applicable financial aid forms. Please review the requirements for Applying for Financial Aid.  

    Do you have a special or unusual circumstance that was not addressed in your financial aid applications?  
    Contact with supporting documentation.  

    Policies and Statistics FAQ

    What financial aid is available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents?

    Yale School of the Environment scholarships, work study, and Federal Direct Loans are available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

    What financial aid is available for international students?
    Yale School of the Environment scholarships, work study, and Yale International Loans are available to international students.

    How is the amount of my Yale School of the Environment scholarship determined?
    The primary factor is financial need, as determined by our review of your (and your spouse’s, if applicable) income and assets and any third-party funding that you expect to receive. Merit is a secondary factor.

    As a graduate and professional student, we consider you to be financially independent of your parents. Therefore, we do not require information about their income and assets. However, you must report any direct financial support that you expect to receive from your parents, such as money for tuition or rent.

    What does my financial aid award cover?
    Need and merit-based scholarships only cover the cost of tuition. The YSE Office of Admissions and Financial Aid are unable to award additional funding past the cost of tuition, therefore it is important to note that living expenses and fees are not included in coverage.

    Must I be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid?
    No. As long as you are enrolled in at least 6 credits in a semester (full-time is 12 credits or more), you may receive financial aid. Your scholarship will be pro-rated and your borrowing may be limited if you enroll part-time, however. If you are enrolled in less than 6 credits in a semester, e.g., continuing registration, you may not receive financial aid.

    How much does it cost to attend the Yale School of the Environment?
    See Tuition, Fees, and Other Expenses.

    What percentage of students who apply to Yale School of the Environment receive financial aid?
    92% of incoming master’s students who completed the YSE financial aid process will receive academic year scholarships.

    What is the annual Yale School of the Environment scholarship budget?
    Approximately $6.2 million (2022-2023)

    Your Yale Student Account FAQ

    What is my Yale student account?
    Your student account is established for you automatically once you matriculate (i.e., accept our offer of admission). Yale charges your tuition and other fees to this account. For additional information see Student Accounts .

    What happens if I do not pay my student account balance by the statement due date?
    Though account statements are generated monthly, the most important statements are those available during the first week of July (tuition bill for the fall semester) and November (tuition bill for the spring semester). If you do not pay your tuition bill by the due date, you will be charged a late payment fee of $125 per month (up to $375 per semester) and will not be able to register for classes until the bill is paid. For additional information, see Student Accounts.

    If I have a credit balance on my student account (e.g., my financial aid is greater than my tuition and fees), how do I access those funds to pay for living or other expenses?
    You must submit a request on Yale Hub. See Credit Balance Refunds for instructions.

    Contact YSE Financial Aid