Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
10. Oldfield EE, AJ Felson, SA Wood; RA Hallett, MS Strickland, MA Bradford. In press. Positive effects of afforestation efforts on the health of urban soils. Forest Ecology and Management.
9. Pickett STA, B McGrath, ML Cadenasso, AJ Felson. 2014. Ecological Resilience & Resilient Cities. Special Issue. Building Research & Information.
8. Felson AJ, M Pavao-Zuckerman, T Carter, W Shuster, N Springer, E Stander, O Starry, F Montalto. 2013. Mapping the design process for urban ecology researchers. Bioscience, 63 (11): 854-864.
7. Felson AJ, MA Bradford, E Oldfield. 2013. Involving ecologists in shaping large-scale green infrastructure projects. Bioscience. 63 (11): cover and 881-890.
6. Pataki DE, M Alberti, ML Cadenasso, AJ Felson, MJ McDonnell, S Pincetl, RV Pouyat, H Setälä, and TH Whitlow. 2013. Nature Correspondence: Better data for urban greening. 502, 624. doi:10.1038/502624d.
5. Felson AJ, MA Bradford, TM Terway. 2013. Promoting Earth Stewardship through Designed Experiments. Earth Stewardship Special Issue.Frontiers in Ecology, 11(7): 362-367. doi:10.1890/130061
4. Oldfield EE, RJ Warren, AJ Felson and MA Bradford. 2013. Challenges and future directions in urban afforestation. Journal of Applied Ecology. 1-9. doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12124.
3. Pickett STA, GS Brush, AJ Felson, BP McGrath, JM Grove, CH Nilon, K Szlavecz, CS Swan, PS Warren. 2012. The Baltimore Ecosystem Study: Understanding and Working with Urban Biodiversity. Citygreen. Issue 4: 68-77.
2. McPhearson PT, M Feller, A Felson, R Karty, JWT Lu, MI Palmer, and T Wenskus. 2010. Assessing the Effects of the Urban Forest Restoration Effort of MillionTreesNYC on the Structure and Functioning of New York City Ecosystems. Cities and the Environment, 3 (1): 1-21.
1. Felson AJ and STA Pickett. 2005. Designed experiments: New Approaches to understanding urban ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology, 3(10): 549–556.
Editorials and Commentaries
8. Felson AJ. In Press. Designed Experiments for Earth Stewardship. Projections 11: Planning Sustainability in Global Ecologies. MIT.
7. Allen, A. Sooner or Later at Seaside: An experimental effort by Alexander J. Felson, ASLA, to protect a shoreline neighborhood in Bridgeport, Connecticut, from frequent flooding shows how hard it is to make a whole community appreciate the existential threat of climate change. Landscape Architecture Magazine, November 2013: 188-197.
6. Felson AJ. October 25, 2013. How to relieve pressure on our stressed water resources. BBC-Futures. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131025-fresh-ways-to-stop-water-crisis
5. Ogden LA. 2013. Integrating Designed Experiments into Urban Planning. Bioscience. 63 (11): 845-851. doi:10.1525/bio.2013.63.11.2
4. Felson AJ. 2011. “Foreclosed: The Role of the Team in the Design Process.” Museum of Modern Art Blog. Foreclosed: Rehousing the American Dream. December 21, 2011.
3. Felson AJ. 2010. “Rising Currents at the Museum of Modern Art.” Constructs.
2. Felson AJ. 2009. Sustainability. Constructs Yale Architecture.
1. Felson AJ. 2007. Ecological Experiments. Urban Land. June. 90-93.
8. Felson AJ. 2013 Pleistocene Rewilding for suburban land. In Post Sustainable New directions in ecological design edited by Mitchell Joachim & Mike Silver. Metropolis Books, New York.
7. Felson AJ. 2013. “The role of designers in creating wildlife habitat in the built environment,” In: J Beardsley, Ed. Designing Wildlife Habitat. 215-240. Harvard Press. Cambridge, MA. (Peer reviewed).
6. Felson AJ. 2013.“The design process as a framework for collaboration between ecologists and designers,” In STA Pickett, M Cadenasso, and B McGrath, Eds. Resilience In Ecology and Urban Design: Linking Theory and Practice in Sustainable Cities (vol. 3). Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands. doi:10.1007/978-94-007-5341-9. (Peer reviewed).
5. Felson AJ and L Pollak. 2010. “Situating ecological experiments as public space.“ Pp. 356-363 In: M Mustafavi with Gareth Doherty, Eds. Ecological Urbanism. Lars Muller Publishing, Baden.
4. Smith, Ken. Ken Smith: Landscape Architect. The Monacelli Press, 2009.
3. Smith Ken and AJ Felson. 2007, “East River Marsh Planter.” In: L. Margolis and A. Robinson, Eds. Living Systems: Innovative Materials and Technologies for Landscape Architecture. Birkhauser Press.
2. Felson AJ. 2007. “Defining urban ecology.” in B. McGrath, V. Marshall, M. L. Cadenasso, J. M. Grove, S. T. A. Pickett, R. Plunz, and J. Towers (eds.). Designing Urban Patch Dynamics. Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, Columbia University, New York, NY.
1. Amidon J. 2005. Ken Smith Landscape Architects: Urban Projects. Princeton Architectural Press, New York, NY.
16. Guilford takes the long view on climate change. Connecticut Mirror. November 4, 2013. By Jan Ellen Spiegel.
15. Second Nature. Daily Nutmeg, September 25, 2013. http://dailynutmeg.com/tag/alexander-felson/
14. Urban Omnibus. Experimental Landscapes: Alexander Felson on Ecology and Design. The Architectural League’s Urban Omnibus, Cultural City Making. March 27th, 2013.
13. American Society of Landscape Architecture, Designing our Future: Sustainable Landscapes Urban Forests = Cleaner Cooler Air, 2011
12. Carnegie Council Ethics in Business: Interview with Alex Felson, Landscape Architect and Urban Ecologist, December 6, 2010
11. The Rail World: Santa Fe, Alex Ulam, Landscape Architecture Magazine, July 2010
10. Students Plan West Campus. Aliyya Swaby. Yale Daily News, November 2010
9. Shoreline Times, on YCEI wetland research project, September 2010
8. Ecological Urbanism: Fred Koetter & Grahame Shane, Constructs Yale Architecture, Fall 2010
7. Sustainable Urbanism, Constructs Yale Architecture, Fall 2009
6. Why Not A Park, The New York Times Magazine, May 16, 2004
5. New Life for a Troubled Plaza, Competitions Magazine, Vol.132 (2) Summer 2003
4. Competing for Santa Fe’s Identity, Landscape Architecture Magazine, March 2003
3. Riverfront Revival, Landscape Architecture Magazine, January 2003
2. This Stop: 68th Floor, Rain Forest, Anne Raver, New York Times, February 13, 2003
1. Railyard Remake in Santa Fe, Competitions Magazine, Vol.12 (3) 2002
4. New York State Department of Parks and Recreation, Jones Beach: Natural Shoreline Protection Committee Report.
Milone and MacBroom, The Nature Conservancy and the Yale Urban Ecology and Design Lab.
3. Town of Guilford Community Coastal Resilience Plan: Final Report. Guilford, Connecticut. July 2013.
2. Town of Guilford Community Coastal Resilience Plan: Report of Options to Increase Coastal Resilience. Guilford, Connecticut. February 2013.
1. Town of Guilford Community Coastal Resilience Plan: Risk and Vulnerability Assessment Report. Guilford, Connecticut. September 2012.