New Admissions Student Assistant, Sundara Bhandaram

Hello, my name is Sundara Bhandaram and I am a first year MEM student specializing in business and the environment. I am the newest student assistant with the Yale F&ES Admissions Office. Over the last two months, I have been able to dive into F&ES classes, culture, and life and I am incredibly honored and grateful to be a part of this wonderful community.

I was born in Hyderabad, India and moved to Southern California six years afterwards. Growing up in Southern California I loved being so close to the Pacific Ocean. However, I was always reminded that we lived in the desert as we had many water scarcity issues. There were many summers where we had water restrictions in place and I became intrigued by water issues in the state. This lead to me getting a BS in Earth System Sciences at the University of California, Irvine. I primarily studied water and energy issues during my time and wanted to pursue a career in environmental policy.

Shortly after graduation I moved to Washington, DC and worked for the American Forest & Paper Association. I worked on many environmental policy issues including the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and bioenergy policy. There I gained an extensive knowledge about the American Forestry Industry, trade associations, and DC lobbying.

Like many others, my interest over time had shifted and I wanted to leave the environmental policy realm to work on corporate sustainability responsibility. I knew that coming to F&ES would provide with the skills and knowledge to be a leader in this field.

During my time in the Admission Office, I hope to help other perspective students with any questions they have about Yale, F&ES, the different specializations, the application process broadly, and about anything else. Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have at Sundara.bhandaram@yale.edu. Also, I’m more than happy to set up a time to chat for those who would prefer to do so. Good luck to those of you applying!