Hello from Sage Hall! Meet the new member of the Admissions team

Hi! My name is Monica Nunez and I’m excited to be joining the very awesome F&ES Admissions team for the 2018-2019 academic year. I recently changed my student hat for a graduation cap, and today is my first day with an Admissions Recruiter hat!

The city of New Haven has kindly hosted me for two years now. Before getting here, I worked as a lawyer in my home city of Lima (Peru), splitting my professional experience between law firms and the Ministry of Environment – where I traveled through the country supervising and training government officials with environmental control functions.

So what is a lawyer doing at a Forestry and Environmental Studies school? My work experience made me realize how important interdisciplinary knowledge (and teamwork!) is, which led me to start a Masters in Forestry at a Peruvian university, before being selected as a Fulbright scholar and applying to F&ES. To all prospective students out there – yes, it is scary to move out of your comfort zone, but totally worth it!

During my time at F&ES, I focused on environmental policy and carried a number of projects with fellow environmental science classmates. I also collaborated with many of the centers and programs at the school, such as the Urban Resources Initiative (URI), The Environmental Leadership and Training Initiative (ELTI) and The Forests Dialogue (TFD), and led the Third Conference about Sustainable Development in Latin America and the Caribbean (SDLAC) (All those acronyms).

Independent projects and opportunities allowed me to travel from Accra to Bonn, Bogota, Beijing and back to Ica in Peru. Most importantly, at F&ES I was able to reconcile with an interest I had had for years: I spent the summer of 2017 in the city of Beijing, working on sustainability of Chinese outbound investments, a topic I had been interested on for over 10 years, and F&ES allowed me to make opportunities for myself that I hadn’t been able to find before.

I look forward to sharing this experience with prospective students and helping them find their way to F&ES, and design their path from here on. Feel free to send me your questions and/or comments to: monica.nunez@yale.edu