Admissions Student Assistant, Sarah Omusula

My name is Sarah Omusula, a first year MESc student from Kenya. Kenya is a beautiful country, rich in biodiversity and one cannot resist falling in love with its beauty! Before coming to Yale I worked with Action for Cheetahs in Kenya (ACK), a non-profit organization whose focus is: to understand cheetah health and habitat selection; raise awareness on predator conservation through community participation; and mitigate human wildlife conflict to safe guard the community livelihoods. I will be happy to chat about conservation of wildlife in Kenya with you! At Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies (F&ES), I am interested in remote sensing, data analysis, conservation and climate change.

Irrespective of where we come from, we all face different challenges during school application. Everyone’s experience is different based on their locality. As an International student there are several challenges that I encountered which maybe similar or totally different from yours. Poor internet connection, time difference, GRE test and results are some of the issues I had to deal with during this process. I worked in a remote area, where internet connection was a problem and had to await my return to the city to check and respond to emails related to my application. But through this, the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies (F&ES) community was supportive and did help me pull through.

The Yale University website is easy to navigate, at least based on my experience. However, in case of any inquiries don’t hesitate to reach the school or staff members who are friendly and ready to assist. The application process is long but worth it! Thanks to the committed F&ES staff that made the process manageable!

My advice to incoming students is plan early! Find out when the recruiter is visiting your Country or State and make a point of meeting with them to answer your questions and advice you.