Taking a minute to talk about living in New Haven, Connecticut.

Hello, and welcome to F&ES. My name is David McCarthy; I am a second-year MEM student and a lifelong CT resident who has lived in New Haven since 2008. I’m studying climate change adaption through the lenses of resiliency, conservation, strategic communication, and policy. I work for the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication and the Office of Admissions and would to take a minute and talk about living in New Haven, Connecticut.

More widely, CT is a very diverse state with a lot to offer regarding food, scenery, city and rural life. We are smack in the middle of Boston and New York City, two great destinations if you’ve never been. I have driven through almost all of CT’s counties, cities, and towns, and each one is very different from the next. Some areas of the state resemble CT’s earlier colonial times. In fact, if you are interested in that sort of thing, CT has over a hundred historical homes that you can visit. New Haven is very lively. There’s a lot of life, art, theater, live music and, and tons of ethnically diverse restaurants.

Great local online publications to read are the New Haven Independent and New Haven Magazine.

New Haven has been my home since 2008; I consider it to be the best place to live in CT. It’s a very walkable and bike-friendly city. There’s something for everyone such as trails to hike, roads to bike, lots of restaurants and bars to patron, live theater, super organic markets, and plenty of Ubers to get you around should it be too cold or rainy. I live in a neighborhood called East Rock, named after the park at the foot of the Mill River. East rock is where a lot of FESers reside, mainly because of its size and proximity to campus; just a 5-10-minute walk. I like living here because of the friendly atmosphere, markets on Orange St., the short walk to school, and its proximity to downtown. East Rock Park is also a major asset of the neighborhood. It has a kayak and canoe launching point under the Orange St. bridge, plenty of space to picnic and read, basketball hoops, jogging paths, and more. At the top is a summit that allows you to see all the way across the Long Island Sound and into Long Island, NY. There are plenty of trail options to get up and down; I recommend the Giant Steps path.

Moving here:

Safety is a concern for anyone traveling or moving to a new city. I will share that in all my years of living here, I have never had a problem; outside my bike being stolen. Being in any city, it’s important to know your surroundings and be cautious.  Yale provides many services including buses and private shuttles to help you get around. The months of July and August are what we locals call, moving month. No, we don’t call it that, but we might as well. There’s large transient population here in New Haven. That said, most leases end at the same time, by design.

There are few conventional ways to seek out housing. Reaching out to local realtors – This is a great way to see a lot of apartments all at once. They will know well in advance when their leases are up. Just toss them your budget, neighborhood of choice, move in dates, and they will take care of the rest. They are very used to students coming and going during the summer.

Here are a few places to look for housing:

1. Reaching out to local realtors – This is a great way to see a lot of apartments all at once. They will know well in advance when their leases are up. Just toss them your budget, neighborhood of choice, move in dates, and they will take care of the rest. They are all very used to students coming and going.
    1. Pike International
    2. Vacancy Busters
  2. Craigslist – Great way to scope and price the market. A lot of the local realtors will also post there.
  3. Yale Housing List: https://your.yale.edu/community/campus-living
  4. Networking and finding yourself an FES apartment – Some apartments have been handed down to incoming FESers for many years. Your best chances of landing one of these apartments are on Facebook. Join the two groups below and ask around. =]
    1. Yale FES
    2. Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
  • Your incoming class FB group
  • Personal note: everything is negotiable. Don’t be afraid to negotiate your rent, lease dates, security deposit, etc. Get creative: “I’ll take care of snow and leaf removal for X off the rent…”

I hope this was helpful. Don’t worry, it will all work out and soon you will enter MODs, so get excited! MODs is an amazing, age-old tradition here at F&ES. By the time it’s over, you’ll be very well acquainted with your incoming class.

Please do not hesitate to reach out. I am here to answer any questions you may have about FES, student life, and living in New Haven. david.mccarthy@yale.edu

Looking forward to seeing you all at the open house and then around campus come fall.

Warmly,

David E. McCarthy

P.S. The image is one that I took of New Haven celebrating its 375th birthday with a rainbow laser that extended into NY! story here