HELLO FROM STUDENT ASSISTANT, DAVID E. MCCARTHY

Hello, my name is David McCarthy, and I am a student worker with F&ES’s Office of Admissions. I’d to take a moment to reach out, introduce myself, and share my F&ES experience.

A little about me:

I am a lifelong Connecticut resident and have I’ve been living in New Haven since 2008.  So, feel free to ask me anything about New England, CT or New Haven. I am a second-year Masters of Environmental Management (MEM) student. The MEM program is the largest program.  It’s sort of a – what do you want to do in the world of environmentalism, and here are the tools to get you there – kind of program.  While there are formal specializations, the MEM program offers you the most flexibility to mix it up and take courses related to your interests within the other degree programs.

Where I was before F&ES:

Before my arrival to the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, I spent a decade working in the human services field.  For the past five years, I fought on the front lines of poverty reduction alongside those suffering from homelessness in New Haven, Connecticut.  Through coordinated capacity building and direct provision of housing services, I ultimately developed a highly successful and innovative shared housing model that provides non-subsidized housing solutions for adults exiting homelessness. I continue to implement my pivotal housing model today as a homeless services consultant. To enhance food security within my local community, I worked with New Haven Farms for two years addressing chronic illness through urban agriculture and nutritional education. Within that time, I also sat on three working groups within the New Haven Food Policy Council.

Why FES & what I love about it here:

When I was looking to apply to environmental graduate degree programs, my decision on where to go was very easy to make, because I only wanted to come here.  Once I met with admissions, toured the campus, and met a few students, I was hooked.  I immediately got the sense that I could reinvent myself, find a meaningful career, and make a difference in the world.

What I love about F&ES is hard to put into words, but if I had to choose four, it would be: the culture, the smiles, the resources, and the mentality that together, we can do anything. To borrow a word from Ladd Flock, Director of our Career Development Office at F&ES, we have a coop-petition student body.  The world is a very competitive place, but here at F&ES, we help each other get to where we need to go.

What I do in my free time:

I enjoy walking around m city.  I walk downtown and visit the art galleries, shop at local businesses, stroll through the parks, and eat at all our delicious restaurants. I maintain a career in photography. I am a huge movie buff, and I frequent the Criterion Theater, where you can bring in snacks and wine. I am an avid chess player and enjoy a good challenge. In the warmer months, I enjoy riding my motorcycle, hiking, swimming, cliff jumping, and star gazing.

Reaching Out:

I regularly chat with incoming and prospective students, so feel free to reach out. I travel a lot for conferences but, always make time to attend to my emails so feel free to reach out. david.mccarthy@yale.edu.

I am very excited to talk with you about the program, student life, and your answer any questions about your applications. I look forward to hearing from you soon and hopefully seeing some of you around campus.

Kindly,

David