F&ES / CDO Washington D.C. 2017 job trek

Last week, the Career Development Office (CDO) of F&ES hosted a job trek to Washington D.C. and it was amazing! One hundred graduate students traveled into the nation’s capital to meet with chief environmental organizations. It was an incredible opportunity to be inside their headquarters, meet with their human resources departments, learn about internship and hiring practices and speak F&ES alumni who live and work in DC.

The trek was very well organized. There was planned carpooling as well as gracious alumni who offered up spare rooms to put us up for a few days. I stayed with Theodore Varns, Green Growth Landscapes Program Advisor at The Nature Conservancy. He was very courteous and hospitable, he provided me with a bike share and a metro card! We were able to maximize our visit and meet with up to four organizations each day. I personally met with seven over the two days: EPA, WWF, EDF, IUCN, NatGeo, U.S. Senate, USAID. The visits lasted for about an hour and a half, with plenty of room for questions and conversation.

The trek was also a social affair. CDO sponsored several dinners across the city for students to dine and converse with alumni from various organizations, I was lucky enough to win the lottery and join one! I dinned at the Founding Farmers with Mona Wang, Program Officer at World Wildlife Fund and Jenny Frankel-Reed, Senior Climate Change Specialist and Adaptation Team Lead at USAID. It was great to get to know them outside the context of their work. Finally, there was the annual DC TGIF alumni mixer, with close to two hundred students and alumni. The F&ES Alumni Association and CDO facilitated this F&ES tradition, with key note speakers: Dean Indy Burke and F&ES alumna Emily Enderle, Chief Environmental Policy Advisor, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse. This was great way to further get to know your fellow F&ES classmates and DC alumni!

All in all, I found the trek to be a helpful, educational, social, fun and informative experience. It was a major networking opportunity. Many of us took, including myself, took advantage of the proximity to potential employers and asked staff and alumni to meet for coffee. It was fantastic way to become familiar with the current and cutting edge work that these businesses are working on. Lastly, it was an opportunity to see the capital.

I highly recommend attending, and be sure to follow our hashtag #FESINDC  for more!