Meet the newest F&ES admissions student assistant

Hello Everyone!

I’m Jolisa Brooks, and I’m delighted to be assisting in the F&ES Admission’s Office. I’m a first year MESc with a research focus in environmental justice, political ecology and peace & conflict. Prior to matriculating to F&ES I was a Legislative Fellow for the US Congressional Committee on Foreign Affairs, where I worked on “Education for All Act 2016, “Women, Peace & Security 2016”, “Power Africa”, and a host of other international development policies. In the short time that I’ve been at Yale I’ve already fallen in love with F&ES and I can’t wait to encourage and assist prospective students in their application journeys.

I’m an indigenous Detroiter, and proud alumna of Michigan State University, where I received my B.A. in Political Theory and Environmental Policy. During my undergraduate career I was able to conduct geological research in Antarctica, where I analyzed sustainable industrial fishing policies to protect keystone species. I also did environmental justice and biodiversity research in Madagascar and studied natural resource management in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. When I wasn’t focused on human rights issues and environment justice, I was absorbed in college football (Go Green! Go White! Go Spartans!)

I was motivated to join the admission’s team because they played a vital role in my application journey. Danielle, Becky, an

d the students assistants were so kind and lent technical and emotional support. The admission’s team mirrors the overall culture of F&ES, a culture that I found to be both warm and inviting. Although the team is great, and the school is amazing, our student body doesn’t reflect those most affected and interested in environmental issues. In my assisting role, I would like to connect with students of color and help them realize that they have a place in this program and in the greater environmental conversation. I also plan to work on diversity and inclusivity programming.

In my free time I love to dance (ballet, hustle, contemporary), karaoke, watch movies and occasionally exercise. I am a dedicated TGIT fan, so my Thursday’s include “Grey’s Anatomy”, “Scandal”, and “How to Get Away With Murder”. My Saturdays are consumed with Spartan Football, and I try to rest on Sundays.

I look forward to connecting with both current and prospective students. Feel free to reach out! Jolisa.brooks@yale.edu