Last year's Forest Health class visiting the U.S. Forest Service's Quarantine Lab. I'm top row, second from the left,

Hello from Student Assistant Lindsay White

Hi! My name is Lindsay and I’m one of the new student assistants with the Admissions team at F&ES this year. I’m thrilled to be a part of this dynamic (and fun) group, and I look forward to meeting some of you as you visit and learn more about our school.

I’m a second year Master of Forestry student. The Master of Forestry (MF) program is smaller than the MEM program, but we’re a tight-knit cohort of plaid-wearing, Christmas tree-growing woodland enthusiasts, and I’m looking forward to showing you a bit about our coursework, social events, and field trips throughout the year.

I’m originally from just outside of Boston, but spent about six years in Northern California after college, first in San Francisco and then in Sonoma County (land of beer, wine, and Sequoia sempervirens). Like many F&ES students, I don’t have a traditional natural resource management background—I majored in English at Duke University and worked in publishing and fundraising before returning to school. My work in Development at the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy in San Francisco introduced me to the field of conservation and natural resource management and prompted me to return to school to develop a foundational knowledgebase in the field of land conservation and forestry.

So why F&ES? Hopefully my posts this year will shed a little light on that. But to start, I was drawn to the strong community, interdisciplinary approach, and extracurricular opportunities readily available here. My interest in forestry is grounded in my drive to work with private, non-industrial forest owners (a subject you might hear referred to as family forestry). The forestry program here allows me to explore the policy and social science of forestland ownership in the U.S. (and beyond), all while learning the science and practice of forestry. I’ve also been working as a student research assistant with the Sustaining Family Forests Initiative (SFFI), housed in the Global Institute of Sustainable Forestry at Yale. At SFFI, we use targeted marketing techniques to help organizations and agencies promote sustainable forestry practices to family forest owners.

In my free time, I like to cook, trail run, ride my bike, read, and sneak up to my parents’ house outside of Boston to borrow their black lab, Ivy. My boyfriend, Liam, also moved here to New Haven from California with me, so if you’re curious about what it’s like to coerce your significant other into moving 3,000 miles across the country so you can go back to grad school, I can help with that.

Like I said, I’ll share more of what I’m studying and working on in the coming months, and I hope you’ll reach out to me if you have any questions or just want to chat about the MF program. My email is lindsay.white@yale.edu.

P.S. The photo at the top is from last year’s Forest Health class. We visited the U.S. Forest Service’s Quarantine Lab and dressed up like the bad guys in E.T.