Yale Student Resources Outside FES

Yale Student Resources Outside FES

There are constantly events going on around FES: lecture series, talks, Student Interest Group meetings, and Forestry Club parties and TGIFs. But there are resources available to students outside of FES, and Foresters should take advantage of them!

To help with their academic work, students are invited to go to the Graduate Writing Center for individual writing consultations. The Center can help with research papers, personal statements, fellowship applications, presentations, journal articles, or anything else written!

Did you know that Yale has 13 libraries, and FES students can study at any of them? Check out library.yale.edu to see hours and descriptions of each. Sterling Memorial Library is my personal favorite–it was recently renovated and looks like a beautiful cathedral inside.

Arts buffs: I encourage you to see a show at the Yale Repertory Theatre (yalerep.org). Students can buy season passes! And one of my favorite spots on campus is the Yale University Art Gallery (artgallery.yale.edu). It is free & open to the public and houses works by famous global artists in history.

If students want to get more involved in undergraduate life at Yale College, they can apply to be a Graduate Affiliate of a residential college. I am a GA at Calhoun College and love my role there. I’m entitled to two meals/week in the college dining hall, and each semester I help plan a fun event for the undergraduate students in Calhoun.

Finally, perhaps the best resource at greater Yale (in my opinion) is GPSCY, or the Graduate & Professional Student Center at Yale (also known as Gryphon’s Pub). GPSCY serves as a social gathering place for students spread across all 12 of Yale’s graduate & professional schools. GPSCY has drink specials and events almost every night of the week. It is a great place to unwind with friends and meet other graduate students outside of FES.