New Year, New Semester

New Year, New Semester

The New Year has begun, and with it so has my first spring semester at F&ES. I spent the holidays with my family in sunny southern California, and coming back to New Haven was a bit shocking, to say the least. Winter has settled in, and those of us on campus are hunkering down in preparation for the big blizzard, which has already arrived and is currently covering Kroon Hall and SageBoy in a chilly blanket of snow.

With the new year comes a slew of new classes to try, professors to meet, and things to do in New Haven, making this transition equal parts exciting and contemplative. In the first two weeks back we shop classes, trying out different courses that we think we might like, and slowly deciding which ones we’ll take and which ones don’t make the cut.

Just like making new years resolutions, the process of choosing classes requires some serious self-reflection. It’s a time to remind yourself why you decided to come to F&ES, what your ultimate goals are, and what is here that can help you achieve those goals. Of course, there are endless resources here to guide your decisions, but ultimately, it’s up to you to decide which classes to take and which to scrap or save for another semester.

Time passes so quickly here. One second you’re starting your first day of MODS, and it feels that the next you’re applying for jobs and looking to life after F&ES. For this reason, time is so valuable. You only have two years to take all of these amazing classes, to build friendships and professional relationships with peers you’ll probably be in touch with for the rest of your life, and to immerse yourself in the F&ES culture by going to lectures, starting thoughtful conversations, and gaining as much perspective as possible. It’s exciting. And a bit daunting.

The great thing about F&ES, though, is that no one here is completely alone. In my experience, the most wonderful part about this program is the people in my class. Whenever I’m feeling stressed or worried, I have 150 friends who I can talk to, all with different experiences and thoughts on how to approach a difficult situation or problem. It’s really the most amazing network of people I’ve ever met, and I am constantly impressed by the immense breadth of knowledge represented here at F&ES. It’s humbling, and it’s inspiring.

So even through all the madness of shopping period, and making decisions about classes, and feeling stressed because you just want to take all of the classes (yes, all at once, is that too much to ask?), you have people here happy to talk about classes and school, but also just regular life and jobs and what helped them most in the past, so that these decisions don’t have to be made completely alone. It’s a new year, and it’s time for a new semester, and it’s time to be excited about it!

(Actually, though, I think right now, at this exact moment in time, I’m most excited for the snow ball fights and snowmen and hot cocoa that will be sure to make this blizzard a fun one. New-Englanders: enjoy the snow and be safe out there!)