Introducing our New Recruiter: Recent Alum Maclovia Quintana

Greetings!

My name is Maclovia Quintana, and I’m the new recruiter for the FES admissions office. I graduated from FES this past May with a Masters in Environmental Science, and this fall I’ll be meeting with prospective students on campus and in cities across the US in order to let you all know about the great opportunities available at FES and about how to apply!

I grew up in Santa Fe, NM, but I did my undergrad degree at Yale College, so I’ve been in New Haven for quite a while now. My academic focus at FES was on small-scale agriculture in northern New Mexico. Working with Professor Carol Carpenter, I used environmental anthropology as a lens to approach the question of how small-scale farming in the region informs a sense of culture as well as a grounded land ethic. I spent the summer between my first and second years interviewing farmers and working on farms in the Santa Fe area.

My academic work, while completely compelling and satisfying, was only a fraction of my student experience at FES. I worked at the Yale Farm as the Public Schools Coordinator, bringing local elementary students to the farm for environmental education through the Seed to Salad Program. I was active in CAFE (Coalition on Agriculture, Food, and the Environment, one of the many student interest groups at FES) and helped to organized the first Yale Food Systems Symposium. I was a co-captain of Veggie Dinner, a venerable FES institution in which you host and attend vegetarian meals. I also sang in the Yale Slavic Chorus and Orkestar BAM (Yale’s coolest Balkan band). There is no shortage of things to do, groups to get involved in, and causes to champion at FES. It would be impossible to grow bored here.

One of the best parts of FES is its strong sense of community. Upon arriving for Mods more than two years ago, I was immediately struck by how friendly and warm my classmates were. The school as a whole is a tight-knit environment. People know each other’s names. It was largely this sense of community that made my time as a student at FES so wonderful—so much so that I’m sticking around just to talk to other people about it! Over the next several months, I’ll be writing frequent blog posts about FES and New Haven and chatting with prospective students about the school and the admissions process—in particular those of you in New York, Boston, Maine, New Hampshire, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, DC, San Francisco, San Diego, Orlando, and Boulder! In the mean time, please don’t hesitate to send me an email with any questions you may have.

I look forward to talking with and meeting you!

Maclovia
maclovia.quintana@yale.edu