Moving to New Haven

Moving to New Haven

Dearest New Admits,

Many of you have expressed curiosity and interest in how to best secure housing in New Haven. Rest assured, there are many great options here – you won’t be homeless! Let’s talk location, timing, living space and price, and search sites.

First, the majority of Forestry students live in East Rock, a quiet residential area of New Haven. East Rock reaches from Whitney Avenue on the west to the railroad tracks and Interstate 91 on the east and southeast, and from Hamden on the north to Trumball Street on the south. The East Rock neighborhood, named in honor of the traprock ridge East Rock, a short jog and 350 foot climb away. It’s a fantastic area with a couple of small groceries such as Nica’s and P & M Orange Street Market. Orange Street is the main drag of East Rock, and it’s constantly bustling with runners, cyclists, and friendly dogs.

A number of students also live downtown, especially if they’re in joint degree programs with other Yale University schools such as the Law School or Graduate School. Downtown New Haven surrounds the New Haven Green and is the heart of great shopping and dining. This area is also very close to the Payne Whitney Gym and the undergraduate campus. There are oft-running Yale Shuttles that can bring you up to the F&ES campus. See to.yale.edu/shuttle. I recommend the Blue line.

A third option is to live on campus. My classmates have told me that this option may be best for international students, people with spouses and children, and students with mobility issues. I am not too familiar with on-campus housing, so I’ll point you here: http://gradhousing.yale.edu.

Second, when should you move? I highly recommend that you do not follow my footsteps. I moved to New Haven two days after my internship ended, one day after a friend’s wedding in Minnesota, and one day before Mods began. Needless to say, I arrived feeling quite frazzled. You do not need to move in May, June, or even the beginning of July, but I would suggest that you give yourself about a week to acclimate to a new city and new chapter. Orientation starts Sunday, August 3, 2015, so you might want to move up in the very last week of July (or in my brain, the week that I’ll be taking the NY bar exam…). I have heard that some people think, “hey, we are only in orientation Monday through Thursday, so I’ll move up mid-August.” Nope. You’re going to be busy every day: even on Friday and the beloved weekend, there are picnics, mixers, ice-breakers, and local events that you won’t want to miss. I loved socializing at GPSCY (pronounced “gypsy”) – see http://gpscy.net/gpscy/, and seeing the Elm Shakespeare Company perform in Edgerton Park.

Third, with whom shall you room? I have lived with two lovely ladies: one is a graduate student at the Divinity School, and the other is finishing up her PhD in biology. The three of us have shared one apartment in a huge house with five other large apartments. Ladies and gentlemen, this ain’t Manhattan. There is SPACE in these apartments! My Div School roommate has a lovely, 40-50 pound dog who appears very comfortable, too. This apartment is at the intersection of Orange and Cottage Streets and costs $550/month, not including utilities. Many apartments within one house are full of Forestry students, and many Forestry students live together. Apartments in East Rock range from about $400-700/month, and I have heard that studio apartments downtown are about double that range.

You can find these housing gems on the F&ES Facebook group, Craigslist, and SageBoy. We will finalize and circulate a Google Document that offers housing shares, too. I found my roommates on Craigslist and believe that many classmates do the same. You are welcomed, encouraged, and even expected to reach out to people that you find interesting. Although I ultimately roomed with the ladies I mentioned above, I made friends by Skyping with potential roommates from FES.

A fellow classmate suggested that I mention living outside of New Haven, too. Living outside of the town is a reality for a few people here at FES. Most have spouses or partners who do not work in New Haven, so they split the distance between say, Bridgeport or Manhattan. Some are permanently stationed at a nearby city and drive or take Metro North to New Haven. Of course, Yale is not a commuter college and there is great potential to miss out on community activities and events in the University. If this is the living option that you ultimately select, shoot me an email and I’ll put you in touch with people who have done the same. I hope that this blog answers your questions about housing in New Haven. Please do not hesitate to email me if you have further questions.

All the Best,

Sarah