...and then there's East Rock

…and then there’s East Rock

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I’ve moved from coast to coast several times over the last five years. My trajectory looks kind of like a cross-country ping pong match… California, New Haven, California, and finally, back to New Haven! Without a doubt, one of the things I was most looking forward to was New England fall. I went for a walk the other day to the gorgeous East Rock Park and as I made my way through the East Rock neighborhoods, I couldn’t help but snap a few pictures. Here’s one of Foster Street’s fall foliage:

Kaylee Post 2-Pic 1of4Foster Street is one of the many streets that make up the area known as East Rock, located about a mile from the Forestry School. It gets its name from the beautiful mountain ridge at its border.

One of my favorite parts about New Haven is the easy access to such amazing natural escapes. The other morning, my friend, Tara, and I were in serious need of a homework break. We had been working all weekend on group projects, papers, and problem sets. We decided to go for a walk! I read an interesting article recently about the profound effect exercise, among other things, has on our happiness and well-being. Check out this graphic of your brain after sitting quietly (i.e. doing homework) versus after something as simple as a 20 minute walk:

Kaylee Post 2- Pic 3 of 4So Tara and I went on a wonderful hour-long jaunt to the top of East Rock. The top of East Rock is accessible by road (for cars, mountain bikes, strollers, etc.) or by path (TONS of stairs – great exercise!). We took the stairs straight up the mountain face, which gets you to the top right next to the monument. It was a gorgeous crisp morning, and the view is always spectacular. The exercise and mental break was just what we needed!

Kaylee Post 2- pic 4 of 4New Haven is full of wonderful natural escapes. Within walking/biking distance of Yale F&ES are: East Rock, West Rock (a beautiful counterpart), running/hiking/biking trails at the bases of both mountains, the Yale Farm, and many more. I’d be happy to chat with you about any of my experiences with hikes and bikes around the area. Feel free to contact me at kaylee.weil@yale.edu with any questions. Have a beautiful day!