Welcome Back Kaylee!

Welcome Back Kaylee!

Hey everyone! I’m Kaylee Weil, a current student at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies. I wanted to take this chance to introduce myself to you as one of the new Student Assistants in the FES Admissions Office. I thought I’d give a little of my personal and academic background, any and all of which you are welcome to ask about!

The School of Forestry and Environmental Studies isn’t my first Yale rodeo by any means. I was a Yale undergraduate from 2008-2012 and I just couldn’t bear the thought of leaving Mother Yale behind, so I applied to graduate school here! I majored in Environmental Studies with a concentration in Environmental Education and Communication. Having been an undergraduate here, I feel like I can offer a lot of insight into the inner workings of Yale University as well as how to navigate and explore the beautiful Elm City.

I was heavily involved in the Yale community as an undergraduate. I worked as a Yale Tour Guide (and have some hilarious stories – feel free to ask!) and in various capacities for my residential college. I lived in my college, Timothy Dwight, for all four years as an undergraduate. I worked as a Master’s Aide and Intramural Secretary, as well as a Freshman Counselor in my senior year. I’m sure these words, job titles, and experiences might sound a little funky to you, but feel free to ask about any of them! Outside of my working life at Yale, I was also a FOOT leader (Freshman Outdoor Orientation Trips), Student Ambassador, and member of the Women’s Ultimate Frisbee team.  I absolutely loved my time at Yale College and feel very lucky to be back in New Haven as an FESer.

I’m not the typical two-year FES student. I applied as a senior to the Five-Year Program (http://environment.yale.edu/academics/degrees/five-year/) and was accepted as an MEM5. Essentially, it’s a Joint Yale College–School of Forestry & Environmental Studies Baccalaureate and Master’s degree in five years. After acceptance into the MEM5 program, the FES staff encourages students to take a gap year between degrees, go out into the real world and get some work experience under your belt. I really appreciated that recommendation! I spent the last year working in environmental education in Northern California, which had a big role in shaping me as an individual as well as my academic interests and future pursuits.

I’ll be writing blog posts about student life here at FES, my personal experiences as a fifth-year student, and how to navigate Yale University and New Haven. Please feel free to email me at any time with questions you might have about Yale, New Haven, FES-specific questions, or anything else you can think of! You can reach me at kaylee.weil@yale.edu.

I’m excited to share my past and future Yale experiences with you all!

Kaylee