Hello! My name is...

Hello! My name is…

Hello Prospective Students!

My name is Jena Clarke.  I’m a first year 2015 Master of Environmental Management degree candidate and a recent addition to the Admissions Office team.  I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences as I settle in and navigate the abundance of opportunities F&ES has to offer through classes, jobs, student groups, social life… the options seem practically endless!

I am originally a Connecticut native; I graduated high school in West Hartford, just a quick drive north from New Haven.  I’m out of practice as a New Englander though, having lived out of the region for nearly a decade, but I have enjoyed rediscovering my own state with the eyes of an outsider.  Since high school, I have moved around a lot.  I lived in Arkansas, Georgia and New Mexico, before graduating from the University of California, Davis with a B.S. in International Agricultural Development.

Although a suburbanite by birth, I fell in love with the landscape and lifestyle inherent to farming and ranching during my year off between high school and college when I volunteered on a farm in Arkansas.  Throughout undergrad I spent my summers working on a ranch in New Mexico and following graduation, I moved to a cattle station in the Northern Territory in Australia, where I worked for six months as a cowgirl (“jillaroo”).  That job opened the door to a role as business analyst in Sydney with the property’s managing company, Macquarie Bank.  I worked for three years in the agricultural funds management team where I focused on operational risk management, meaning I was engaged in the company’s policies, compliance and initiatives relating to environmental management, animal welfare and work health and safety.

Here at Yale, I am planning to combine my background in agriculture with my passion for the environment through policy analysis.  I plan to explore policy solutions that balance environmental values with production objectives and move towards a sustainable, functional food system.  In addition to spending time with the Admissions Office, I will also be working with the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy, facilitating a webinar series on agriculture and the environment.  I am also a member of two Student Interest Groups; CAFÉ (the Coalition on Agriculture, Food, and the Environment) and the Westies, a western land issues group.  Between classes and clubs, I still make time to get horseback, playing polo with the Yale team.

I am excited to immerse myself in the food and ag scene at Yale and am eager to talk to any and all of you about farming, animals, policy studies, or just graduate studies in general at F&ES.