Introducing our newest blogger… current joint law student Sarah!

Greetings, prospective students! My name is Sarah Wegmueller, and I am a joint MEM/JD candidate at Yale’s School of Forestry and Pace Law School. I’m happy to offer insight about the joint master’s/law program, but first I thought I would tell you a bit about myself. My family has a Brown Swiss dairy farm in Monroe, Wisconsin, and I grew up milking cows, selling sweet corn, unloading hay, and performing other typical farming tasks. I majored in Political Science/International Relations, and minored in Mandarin Chinese and East Asian Studies at Carleton College. After I graduated from Carleton, the travel bug bit me hard, and I spent time wwoofing in Corsica, interning in Shanghai, and sailing the Pacific Ocean. I also worked for two years at the Environmental Law Institute in Washington, DC, which inspired me to head to FES and Pace Law.

As a joint degree candidate, I have finished two years of law school and have just started the first of three semesters at FES. I will still take one more semester at Pace, so I expect to graduate in the spring of 2014 with both degrees. The joint degree program has been fantastic so far, but it’s definitely a balancing act. I am kept busy with the incredible opportunities at Yale, from attending discussions on hydrofracking, to singing Chinese songs for the Mid-Autumn Festival. And, of course, completing coursework in environmental economics and physical sciences! I am still taking two credits at Pace as an acquisitions editor of the Pace Environmental Law Review (PELR). Luckily, I can work on these credits remotely, so most all of my time is here at Kroon and Sage, the FES buildings.

What will I do with the joint degree? I am not entirely sure yet, and am trying to stay flexible. However, at Yale my studies will focus on largely on corporate environmental governance, industrial ecology and energy policy. My dilemma is that all of the courses at FES are incredibly interesting! I want to practice law, but I am earning my MEM so that I can understand the science behind the regulations in place and being proposed. I believe that my MEM degree will enable me to help companies comply with environmental regulations while staying profitable. In the alternative, I would love to work for local governments helping enforce environmental regulations.

If you have questions about the joint degree program, milking cows, or learning Chinese, please feel free to shoot me an email!

Sarah Wegmueller
Sarah.wegmueller@yale.edu