That time of year again… recruiting & application season is upon us!

Last week kicked off what I think is the most fun part of my job – the recruiting season! Emily and I headed in to New York City, accompanied by our new student assistant Sarah, for the NYC Idealist Fair. Between the 3 of us, we were able to speak to over 100 students in a 3 hour time span. Aside from being completely exhausting (and it taking 3 days for my voice to get back to full strength), it was so invigorating to speak with prospective students who are jumping off on this amazing new adventure to graduate school. It was also kind of neat, because we represented 3 different parts of the cycle of being a student—I represented the “applicant” phase; Sarah, a brand new F&ES student in the joint law program with Pace University (who we’ll introduce further in the coming weeks) represented the “student” phase, and Emily represented the “alumni” phase. Since admissions is very cyclical, I tend to find enjoyment in the representation of other complete cycles!

Emily and I then headed up to Boston this week, and we hosted an information session for prospective students in the Boston area as well as participated in the Boston Idealist fair. At information sessions, we like to give an overview of the F&ES programs, application process and community, as well as introduce prospective students to both admissions representatives and alumni. The purpose for us is to make sure that you, as prospective students, get all of your questions answered and to get a really good sense of why we think the experience at F&ES is so special. We are hosting information sessions in the following cities (click the city name/date for more information), and we’d really encourage you to come out and join us if you are able—we are happy to talk to people that are anywhere in the process (from just thinking about the possibility of grad school to already submitted an application and waiting for a decision!):

Denver, CO – October 9, 2012
Washington, DC (Joint session with Duke, Michigan & UCSB) – October 16, 2012
New York City (Joint session with Duke, Michigan & UCSB – October 17, 2012

Los Angeles, CA – October 17, 2012
Seattle, WA – October 22, 2012
Portland, OR – October 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK – November 1, 2012
Chicago, IL (Joint session with Duke, Michigan & UCSB) – November 5, 2012
San Francisco, CA (Joint session with Duke, Michigan & UCSB) – November 8, 2012

In addition to those information sessions, we will also be participating in several more Idealist fairs, hosting information sessions on some college campuses, and also hosting a booth at the DC Green Festival, AISES National Conference and SAF National Conference. For more information on all of our upcoming admission events, please click here!

Tomorrow also kicks off the first on-campus open house of the season! This is when we put together a full day program for prospective students to learn first-hand about our academic and social communities. It is also a way to get a better sense of New Haven, of which, if you don’t know yet, I’m a huge fan! These are full-day events, and we have arranged time for you to hear from faculty, staff and current students. The upcoming open house dates are as follows: September 21, October 12, November 30. We’ve heard continuously that the trip to campus is worth it, and we think you’ll agree.

I hope to see you on the road or in New Haven over the next few months. If you aren’t able to join us, certainly email fesinfo@yale.edu with any questions you have any we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!

My bags are packed and I’m ready to go… I can’t wait to meet you!

Danielle