Highlights: Please refer to the UN-General Assembly
The agreed document has 6 sections, 49 pages and 238 paragraphs containing the colossal work of negotiators done in 3 intersessionals, 3 preparatory committees, 1 special informal/informal negotiation week. As well as incommensurable hours gone to negotiate over four different negotiation texts released by the secretariat of the conference or by the Brazilian presidents, as the last version was.
Here are some highlights of the outcomes:
- Regarding IFSD:
- The strengthening of ECOSOC and its role as the responsible entity for the follow-up of all United Nations conferences in economic, social and environmental matters. (Wait for the 68º UNGA sessions for updates on how this will be done)
- A High-level political forum that will eventually replace the CSD.
- An invitation to the UNSG to present a report on inter-generational solidarity for the fulfillment of the SDGs.
- Strengthening UNEP, with universal membership among other functions. (Wait for the 68UNGA for updates on how this will be done)
- Regarding the SDGs:
- Universal character.
- A creation of a working group of 30 members of the regional groups, to be constituted during the 67º UNGA at the latest. In 2013, during the UNGA a report will be presented with the formal proposal of the SDGs to be considered by member states.
- Regarding the Green Economy in the context of Sustainable development and poverty eradication:
- The definition of the green economy (in the sense of guidelines) and the flexibility for each of the member states to implement its principles to the national context.
- Ocean and seas:
- The establishment of an Ad Hoc working group to be formed before the 69 UNGA to address the issues raised for exploiting marine resources in zones outside the jurisdiction of national waters, to agree on an international instrument under the UNCLOS.
- Sustainable consumption and production:
- The adoption of a conference document on the 10-year framework of programs on SCP to be operationalized after a decision issued at the 67º UNGA.
- Means of implementation:
- The agreement to launch an intergovernmental process to assess the availability and efficiency of resources in development and to fulfill the agreed ODSs.
- An intergovernmental committee comprised of 30 experts nominated by regional groups will be the responsible to implement this process that would conclude in 2014.
- An invitation to the UNSG was issued to present a report at the 67 UNGA with recommendations for a facilitating mechanism in access to technology transfer.
- An internet based compendium of commitments
As you can see in the highlights, the trend was to push the major decisions under the UNGA. The inclusion of these outcomes in the agenda of the UNGA could cause for the UN system to embrace all recommendations in their own operational programs. In a way, the road forward for a UN reform and balance in the economic, social and environmental pillar has just begun. Rio+20 turned out to be a conference for the future, just remember that the future we want is not yet agreed, the way forward was given a the fundamentals of a roadmap.