T minus 4 weeks

This week included, there are only four more weeks of classes left in the final semester of the 2011-2012 year!

Acknowledging this fact naturally creates a surge of mixed feelings. Just like so many others, I am looking forward to the approaching summer. It implies a change of scenery, change of daily routine, and a potentially cool internship experience to look forward to. On the other hand, it is easy to worry about not having made the best use of your semester. But, as I have found out, making the most of each semester is easy when you are surrounded by motivated peers, active extracurricular groups and interesting opportunities everyday.

As mentioned in my last post, I was able to engage myself more in school activities other than purely academic ones. I attended several engaging conferences, initiated and organized a talk by a high-profile speaker, went to grad school events and improved my public speaking skills through a practical skills course (PSC) on Environmental Communication. I am also a member of the Veggie dinner and Meat dinner co-op communities that make evening meals infinitely more interesting.

You may currently be an admitted student who is tremendously excited about the impending arrival of August. However, I warn you not get in the habit of always looking forward to future events. A month into school last semester, I was ever so slightly homesick and found myself subconsciously waiting for a winter visit back home. My advice to you is to stay in the US and dive into the US culture during these two years. Don’t bother with indulging in homesickness—these two years will fly by like two honeymoon weeks (almost). My main point is that if you are coming here this August; don’t think about it too much. Enjoy your homework free summer days while they last.  However, once you arrive, be constantly mindful of the time-limited and hence quite precious nature of this program!

Those of you who are either abroad or are unable to make it to the Open House, please feel free to email me with questions about FES. Otherwise, see you on Friday the 30th!