Facilities Information

Student Office Space

Limited student study and office space is available in all of our buildings. In Kroon Hall, the Knobloch Environment Center is meant for socializing, but students have also embraced it as a study space. The Ordway Learning Center on the ground floor also has ample quiet study space. Students working on the Ph.D. degree are given first priority for office space and are assigned by the Doctoral Program Office.

Copy Machines

A student copy machine is located on the ground floor of Kroon Hall, as well as many other locations throughout the university. Instructions for setting up accounts are at each location and available in the Computing/IT section of MyFES. Malfunctions should be reported to feshelpdesk@yale.edu or 203-436-4444.


The official address of the School is Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, 195 Prospect Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06511.

While mailboxes on the ground floor of Kroon Hall are provided for each student, the use of the School address for the receipt of personal correspondence and packages is discouraged. Mail is not forwarded during vacation or breaks. If you expect important mail and know you will be away, ask a resident friend to forward it. Do not use the School’s address for receiving valuable items as thefts have occurred in the past, and the School is not responsible for lost or stolen items. It is recommended that students purchase personal property insurance to cover the loss or theft of their property.

Bulletin Boards

Do not use walls, furniture or doors for posting information or for leaving messages, as tape often damages the surfaces. There are bulletin boards in Kroon and Sage Halls for student use. Please see Joanne DeBernardo for other bulletin board use.

Pets 4-Footed and 2-Wheeled

Pets of any variety (walking, flying, swimming, or slithering) may not be brought into any of the buildings at any time. Please clean up after your pet when necessary on F&ES grounds.

Motorcycles are never to be brought inside any building. (Fire Marshall requirements dictate this. The danger is obvious.)

Bicycles should be left in the bicycle racks outside various buildings and may not be parked or stored inside any of the School buildings in halls, closets or locked against railings. Bicycles should always be locked and registered with campus police (there is an online form at www.yale.edu/police). Please report a suspected theft immediately to Yale Police at 203-432-4400 and notify Joanne DeBernardo.

Rollerblading and skateboarding are not allowed on F&ES grounds or within any building

Equipment Use

Students must secure permission from faculty members to operate in any laboratory. Equipment must not be transferred from one laboratory to another without specific permission; please contact fesfacilities@yale.edu if moving equipment.

School instruments and equipment should be handled intelligently and with respect. If you are not familiar with a piece of equipment, please do not use it until you receive appropriate instructions.

Report at once to the instructor in charge and to fesfacilities@yale.edu or 432-2099 all accidents and/or breakdowns involving school equipment. Damage to the building or equipment due to carelessness or negligence of a student will be charged to him or her.

Greeley Machine Shop

The shop in the basement area of Greeley Laboratory is provided for work officially related to academic programs. Use of the shops for personal projects is not permitted. All shop users are required to comply with University safety regulations, and to have complete University shop training and certification. Students are expected to clean up after their activities.

Please contact FES facilities (fesfacilities@yale.edu) for instruction on how to receive training, including general shop training and hands-on tool-specific training in the use of shop equipment (mitre saw, belt sander, drill press, and soil hammermill).

Students must always use the buddy system, and only enter the shop with another trained shop user.

School Vans

The school has five vehicles available for School use:

  • Three 14-passenger shuttlebuses
  • An 11-passenger van (only for non-highway use)
  • A Ford Escape SUV

These vehicles are used primarily by faculty members for class trips and research-related travel; students who wish to use them for individual research projects require permission of a faculty member. School vehicles are never to be used for personal purposes. Students needing a car for personal purposes may wish to obtain a Zip car account (to.yale.edu/zipcar)

Students and others who would like to drive School vehicles are required to have the following:

For all vehicles:

  • A valid driver’s license issued in the U.S. or Canada
  • Proof of completion of Yale's online Driver Safety Awareness training
  • An account number (PTAEO) to charge the cost of using a School vehicle (may not be a federal grant account)

Additional items required to drive the van or shuttlebuses:

  • In-person training with an F&ES facilities staff member for these large vehicles

Additional items required to drive the shuttlebuses, due to recent federal regulations governing the use of vehicles weighing over 10,000 lbs:

  • An annual Medical Driver Certificate provided after an exam by a physician specially authorized to conduct a Department of Transportation physical exam. The cost of the exam should be paid for by the faculty member, Center, or department for whom the student is driving. A copy of the medical certification must be kept on file with F&ES Facilities, and each driver must carry their certification with them at all times when driving a Yale vehicle.

  • An annual motor vehicle record background check (conducted by the outside firm HireRight).
Please contact fesfacilities@yale.edu or 203-432-2099 for more information.