Facilities Information

Student Office Space

Limited student study and office space is available in all of our buildings. In Kroon Hall, the Knobloch Environment Center is meant for socializing, but students have also embraced it as a study space. The Ordway Learning Center on the ground floor also has ample quiet study space. Students working on the Ph.D. degree are given first priority for office space and are assigned by the Doctoral Program Office.

Copy Machines

A student copy machine is located on the ground floor of Kroon Hall, as well as many other locations throughout the university. Instructions for setting up accounts are at each location. Malfunctions should be reported to feshelpdesk@yale.edu or 203-432-2099.


The official address of the School is Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, 195 Prospect Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06511.

While mailboxes on the ground floor of Kroon Hall are provided for each student, the use of the school address for the receipt of personal correspondence and packages is discouraged. Mail is not forwarded during vacation or breaks. If you expect important mail and know you will be away, ask a resident friend to forward it. Do not use the school’s address for receiving valuable items as thefts have occurred in the past, and the school is not responsible for lost or stolen items. It is recommended that students purchase personal property insurance to cover the loss or theft of their property.

Bulletin Boards

Do not use furniture or doors for posting information or for leaving messages, as tape often damages the surfaces. There are bulletin boards in Kroon and Sage Halls for student use. Please see the Assistant Dean: Student Services for other bulletin board use.

Pets 4-Footed and 2-Wheeled

Pets of any variety (walking, flying, swimming, or slithering), may not be brought into any of the buildings at any time. Please clean up after your pet when necessary on F&ES grounds.

Motorcycles are never to be brought inside any building. (Fire Marshall requirements dictate this. The danger is obvious.)

Bicycles should be left in the bicycle racks outside various buildings and may not be parked or stored inside any of the School buildings in halls, closets or locked against railings. Bicycles should always be locked and registered with campus police (there is an online form at www.yale.edu/police).

Rollerblading and Skateboarding are not allowed on F&ES grounds or within any building

Equipment Use

Students must secure permission from faculty members to operate in any laboratory. Equipment must not be transferred from one laboratory to another without specific permission; please contact fesfacilities@yale.edu if moving equipment.

School instruments and equipment should be handled intelligently and with respect. If you are not familiar with a piece of equipment, please do not use it until you receive appropriate instructions.

Report at once to the instructor in charge and to fesfacilities@yale.edu or 432-2099 all accidents and/or breakdowns involving school equipment. Damage to the building or equipment due to carelessness or negligence of a student will be charged to him or her.

Greeley and Marsh shops

The shop in the basement area of Greeley Laboratory is provided for work officially related to academic programs. Use of the shops for personal projects is not permitted. All shop users are required to comply with University safety regulations, and to have complete University shop training and certification. Students are expected to clean up after their activities.

School Vans

The School has five vehicles available for School use. These vehicles are used primarily by the faculty of the school in its program of instruction and research. Student uses for individual research projects require permission of an F&ES faculty member. You must complete a driver awareness course (offered to new students during MODs or please refer to www.yale.edu/finance/controller/riskman/programs/driversAwareness.html to drive any Yale vehicle. F&ES vehicles may be reserved throughthe F&ES intranet, MyFES. Please take note of the special requirement and fees as shown on the MyFES/transportation website. Students will also be required to schedule in-person training with F&ES Facilities staff before driving any of these large vehicles. Please call 432-2099 to schedule an appointment